Bridging the legal-institutional gap in mediterranean coastline management
Professor Rachelle Alterman is the Project Head and Coordinator of the Mare Nostrum project.
Mare Nostrum is a 3-year project, funded by the European Union and coordinated by the Technion – Israel Institute of Technology, which will explore new ways of enhancing existing policies for preserving the Mediterranean coastline.
Scroll down for media coverage and more.
For more information:
- Click here for the project website
- Click here to follow the project Facebook page
- Click here to follow the project on LinkedIn
- Click here to follow the project on Twitter
- Jerusalem Post – “Israel’s Mediterranean: A ‘Wild West,’ but with waves of progress” – Click for French Edition PDF, published 29 January, 2017; Click for English Edition PDF, published 4th February 2017.
- Calcalist – “The State of our Coastlines is OK, but we have a long way to go” (Hebrew) – 9 November, 2015 (based on a talk by Professor Rachelle Alterman at the Ashdod Sustainability Conference, Israel – see below). Click for PDF version.
- Calcalist – “We have marked a line 300 metres from the coast, but what about the land beyond that line?” – 4 November 2015. Click for PDF version.
- Calcalist – (Are we) Returning to the Era of Real Estate “Monsters” on the Coastline? (Hebrew) – 20 August, 2015 (using Mare Nostrum research findings). Click for scanned PDF version.
- Israel 21C – Jordanian-Israeli Environmentalists Unite for Cross-Border Cooperation – 13 April, 2015
- Haaretz – Fighting them on the beaches: the greens protecting Israel’s coastline – 22 January 2015
- Haifa Municipality local project announcement (Hebrew)
- Green Prophet – Clear your coast – and row for the sea! – 17 September, 2014
- Leading article in Israeli magazine Mivnim (‘Structures’, Hebrew) – Preservation of the Mediterranean Coastline – September 2014
- Mare Nostrum Project – Podcast – 13 Aug 2014
- Malta Independent – Mare Nostrum calls for Mediterranean action to stop cliff erosion – 4 August, 2013
- Haaretz – While EU study praises Israel for taking care of its beaches, environmental activists less than satisfied – 24 May 2013. Hebrew version – here and here.
- Green Prophet – Mare Nostrum to Save the Mediterranean Sea from Coastline Development – 6 May, 2013
- The Jerusalem Post – Cross-border Mediterranean project led by Technion scholar get 4.3m euros – 4 March 2013
- The Marker (Hebrew) – EU Project on Coastal Preservation to be Led by the Technion – 3 March 2013
Presentation of the project and its outcomes at conferences and other events:
- The State of Israel’s Coastline from a Comparative Perspective – Ashdod Sustainability Conference, Israel. Click here for a video of the presentation (Hebrew).
- Rachelle Alterman, Dafna Carmon and Cygal Pellach: “The High Hopes of ICZM Confronted by Legal-Institutional Implementation Gaps” – MEDCOAST Conference, October 2015.
- Rachelle Alterman, “The High Hopes of ICZM in the Face of Legal-Institutional Implementation Gaps: Comparative Analysis of Mediterranean Countries” (Mare Nostrum Project) AESOP Conference, July 2015.
- “Bridging the implementation GAP in Integrated Coastline Management: Lowering the legal-institutional barriers” at Member States Expert Groups Integrated Coastal Management – Maritime Spatial Planning, Brussels, April 21-22 2015
- Rachelle Alterman, Dafna Carmon and Cygal Pellach, “The high hopes of Integrated Coastal Zone Management in the face of legal-institutional implementation gaps: Comparative Analysis of Mediterranean Countries. Ninth Annual conference of the International Academic Association on Planning, Law and Property Rights (PLPR). Volos, Greece Feb. 24-27, 2015.
- Na’ama Teschner and Rachelle Alterman, “Implementaiton gaps in the city-port interface”. Ninth Annual conference of the International Academic Association on Planning, Law and Property Rights (PLPR). Volos, Greece Feb. 24-27, 2015.
- “Same Seas, Different Coastlines: Disparities in the national demarcation of coastlines across the EU” at Plenary Meeting of the Permanent Committee on Cadastre in the EU. 23-25 June 2014.
- Rachelle Alterman and Rachel Adam. “The Implementation Gap in Integrated Coastal Zone Management Laws and Policies”. MEDCOAST Global Congress on ICZM, Marmaris, Turkey, Oct. 29-Nov. 2 2013.