Professor Rachelle Alterman (professor emeritus – non retired). Urban planning and Law
Member, Israel Academy of Sciences and Humanities
Fields of research:
- Comparative Planning Law and Land Use Regulation
- Comparative Land Policy and Property Rights
- Housing policy
- Planning Theory and Method
- Implementation of Public Policy
- October 2020 – Journal of Planning Education and Research – awarded Certificate of Recognition for excellent as reviewer (among members of advisory board). Awarded during ACSP annual conference.
- May 2015 – Awarded Liverpool University Press Certificate of Recognition for excellence in the role of reviewer for Town Planning Review journal. Click for certificate.
- July 2012 – Awarded the highest honor of AESOP (Association of European Schools of Planning) – an Honorary Membership (the only person outside of Europe to receive the honor). Click here to read more. Click here for videos of my reflections at AESOP’s 25th Anniversary Assembly.
- 2008 – Recipient of the Landau Prize in Academic Excellence (Israel high national prize) in the category of Urban Studies.
- March 2007 – Recipient of the Israel Planners’ Association’s highest honor. Read Haaretz newspaper’s coverage of the event (in Hebrew) here.
Selected newspaper clippings in English* (for more see Media):
- “Faster, taller, stronger” Yisrael Hayom, February 16, 2021
- “Welcome to Israel, the most crowded nation on earth” YNET, December 23, 2018
- “Dystopian vision | 98% of Israelis Will Live in Giant Apartment Towers by 2050, Report Finds” Haaretz, November 19, 2018
- “Are residential high rises the solution to Israel’s housing shortage?” Ha’aretz, February 2013
- “How Green was their Valley” Ha’aretz, January 2012
* Scores of newspaper articles have been featured in Hebrew-only newspapers and these papers occasionally also translate to English.
International Perspectives on Land Management Instruments
Download pre-publication versions of the five comparative chapters: Introduction, Parameters, and Comparative Analysis.
A Comparative Perspective on Land Use Regulations and Compensation Rights
OUT OF PRINT – Click here to download pre-publication versions of all chapters.
Download pre-publication version of the main comparative analysis – chapters 1-3
Download the pre-publication version of Chapter 16 – Israel
Preview in Google Books, Purchase on Amazon
Now with Chinese translation!
Land Use, Housing, and Mass Immigration in Israel
Book Review in Planning Theory Journal
Download pre-publication version
* Cited in Arab League Conference for Reconstruction, October 2003 – “Non Conventional Methods for the Reconstruction of Destroyed Areas“
An International Comparison of City and Regional Policy-Making
Liverpool University Press
Details and purchase from the publisher
Download the Book’s Blurb, More Information
Download: Front Matter, Chapter 1, Chapter 11
An Internal Evaluation
Download front matter and introduction
Chapter 1 Chapter 2 Chapter 3 Chapter 4 Chapter 5 Chapter 6 Chapter 7 Chapter 8 Chapter 9 Chapter 10 Chapter 11 Chapter 12 Chapter 13 Chapter 14 Chapter 15
Evaluation of Real Estate Exactions, Linkage and Alternative Land Policies
New York University Press
Download section on Exaction American Style
Download section on Developer Provisions of Public Benefits
Download section on Exaction Law and Social Policy in Israel
The National Statutory Planning System in Israel